Oct 04th, 2018

Day 3. SPRINTCON 2018 Recap

Adam PerlisCEO & Founder

The final day has come, Day 3. SPRINTCON 2018 Recap see the highlights below:

While I was not able to attend all of Day 3, I was able to hear a few things in the morning that caught my attention…

On a panel discussion that includes Kandis O’Brien from the Six, the discussion centered around leadership and what leads to organizational change. As she defined it paraphrased below,

a leader is someone who has followers. Not someone who needs to instruct people what to do but someone whose subordinates know what to do because they undestand the mission.

There was a lot of talks surrounding getting to a “shared vision” in your company. Many people described strategies to get leadership to buy in. One person noted, that her company asked her to show the business value to running sprints. Instead of focusing on the financial impact she crafted a compelling story about the user impact, people impact, and happiness impact working this way could achieve.

The indelible Tom Chi, described that in the old model of leadership we were asked to know 100% of the way to solve the problem prior to beginning. In the new model of leadership, you only need to know about 30% of how to solve the problem and that as a group we are all gonna come together to work on the other 70%.

On a panel titled Design Sprint Mastery (and Measurement); What’s up with that?!! Meeta Patel from Design Catalyst and Daniel Stillman from The Conversation Factory commented on the issue of people not being properly trained in Design Thinking and Design Sprints. That often times students to go through a 1 day, 2-week workshop and are expected to walk out a master of their craft. The expectations often set by these workshops and classes are often too high resulting in students who are largely unprepared to handle the demands of Design Sprint Mastery. I can relate to this and in an upcoming article, I plan to address this issue. Currently, there is no measure of who is a Sprint Master but should there be? How can we even measure this in a way that won’t cause more problems than it solves? More to come on this.

That’s it for SPRINTCON 2018. I hope you all enjoyed the recap. Please feel free to reach out with questions.

Design
Design Sprints
Design Thinking
Development
Product Management
Prototyping
UI
UX
UX Research

More Articles

Product Design Cheat Sheet

Oct 15th, 2018

By Adam Perlis

Day 2. SPRINTCON 2018 Recap

Oct 04th, 2018

By Adam Perlis

Day 1. SPRINTCON 2018 Recap

Oct 02nd, 2018

By Adam Perlis

130 GRAND ST. SUITE #3D | BROOKLYN, NY 11249

AboutCareers